Results – Final day of play for the Southwest Soccer Fall Season
The top four teams from each age division played in Durango this weekend in playoffs. The Avalanche U12 girls white, both U12 boys white and red, U14 girls white and U18 girls qualified and played. The U14 boys qualified but were unable to play.
- U12 Boys White team wins the boy’s U12 division !#$!! In the semi-finals Matt Imus’ boys beat the Durango Thunder 5 – 3. In the finals, they decimated the Tri – City Firestorm 5 -1. Goals were scored by Sean Alex (2), Connor Imus (2), and J.T. Imus. The defense, lead by Alex Arellano and Aaron Dietrich allowed only 1 goal in the finals to a team that had been averaging over 6 goals per game.
- U12 Boys Red team lost in the semi-finals to Tri – City Firestorm in a last minute thriller. They tied the game 3-3 with just a few minutes left and had to go to penalty shots and narrowly missed getting into the finals against the Avalanche White.
- Although the U12 Girls White team lost 2 -1 in the semi-finals to the Durango Flash, their excellent defense held the Flash to only 2 points. The Flash had not scored less than 4 points in any of their other games in their undefeated season. The lone goal for the Avalanche was scored by Olivia Haga.
- Greg Alex’ U14 Girls White team lost to the Durango Blast 3 – 2. Breanna Bjorge and Rocio Mireles-Rodales scored for the Avalanche.
- The Terrific Ten! Saturday the U18 girls battled against the U18 Durango United girls team. They only had 10 ladies on the field, no subs. They fought hard tying the game 2-2. The game was put into an immediate PK shootout. They tied in the shootout at 1-1 and that put them into a sudden death final where Durango won. It was one of the most amazing games to watch!
We are now looking forward to spring when our Montrose Lady Indians take the field in pursuit of their best season ever! Come out and support the Lady Indians in March 2013!
In other play this weekend, the Avalanche U12 Girls Red team played two “Friendlies” with Crested Butte. In the first game they lost 3 – 1 . The goal was scored by Shayla Geesing. In the second game they won 4-2. Goals were scored by Shayla Geesing, Caroline Graham(2) and Lexi Kuhn. Tate Dunnagan did an excellent job in goal. They finished strong this weekend with great team play. As one of the youngest teams in the league they are coming together learning new positions and formations.